Back to School 2017
September is an exciting time of year as students return to school settings refreshed from summer adventures. At The Bertram Group, we have also had a busy and rewarding summer: Since May I have personally made site visits to or met with admissions directors and heads of nearly 30 educational institutions. These visits range from traditional boarding schools to therapeutic programs and cover locations as far apart as North Carolina, California, and Vermont. Collectively, the partners at The Bertram Group have connected with even more schools and programs. Being on-site at a campus and speaking directly with faculty members gives us an in-depth and invaluable sense of each institution’s culture and educational mission.
We are proud of The Bertram Group’s commitment to engage in school tours and professional conferences year-round, keeping our fingers on the pulse of the latest trends and bringing our families first-hand knowledge to help identify the best fit. Going forward, you will see updates of our professional travels posted on The Bertram Group’s Facebook page. Meanwhile, we make accessibility to candidates our highest priority. We are always available to help you take the next step in your school search.
In this issue:
- Erby Mitchell, Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at The Hotchkiss School, offers advice on how to approach the parent interview at boarding schools.
- We reprint the first part of Audrey’s article, recently published in the Moffly Media Independent School Guide, that explores how boarding schools are assessing character in the admissions process.
- Charlotte Brownlee, Director of Admission and Enrollment, discusses character at Cate School in California.
- Holly and Krissy outline strategies for considering learning differences in the context of a boarding school search.
- Deena advises candidates on how to balance the pressures of their senior year with the deadlines of college applications.
- Jeremy outlines clues for recognizing when a student’s anxiety needs specialized support.
We announce a save-the-date to hear Deena Maerowitz speak in September about learning differences and the college search, and to hear author Lee Daniel Kravetz speak in October about the psychological phenomenon of infectious behaviors.
As always, we look forward to hearing from you.
Cammie Bertram and the Bertram Team