Plato once said, “The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future in life.” At The Bertram Group, we believe wholeheartedly in this—and we are privileged to work with families and schools who feel the same. Education plays an inspirational role in our lives, which is why finding the right school in the right place and at the right time is essential to lifelong learning and success.
At this time every year we are thrilled to celebrate students who are settling into the next phase of their education…perhaps in a new secondary school, or in college or graduate school. We are equally thrilled to guide this year’s group of candidates as they grow in self-awareness and pursue their dreams by exploring educational opportunities.
In this issue of the newsletter, we are pleased to feature a guest interview with Archibald Montgomery, Head of School at Asheville School in North Carolina. This continues our series profiling schools in different regions of the country. We are also fortunate to share tips for student interviews from William Leahy, Director of Admissions at Phillips Exeter Academy, and Erby Mitchell, Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at The Hotchkiss School.
Also in this issue:
- Deena offers valuable data to balance sensational media headlines about college competitiveness.
- Holly explores the benefits of a post-graduate year.
- Audrey examines how boarding schools support key 21st-century skills.
- Jeremy reports a 50-year survey documenting how college students make sustainability issues a priority.
- We introduce our newest Bertram professional affiliate, Elizabeth Cashel.
- TBG is co-sponsoring an October 6 event at Westport Library where an acclaimed psychiatrist will discuss mental health strategies for teens and young adults.
As always, we look forward to hearing from you.
Cammie Bertram and the Bertram Team