My fall has kicked off with the Enrollment Management Association’s annual conference, where admissions officers from independent schools around the globe explored the theme “Prepare to Lead.” I have also just returned from the New York Women’s Leadership Summit, which brought together attendees from many career paths. It is thrilling to hear speakers discuss this topic from so many perspectives.
At The Bertram Group, we believe leadership is a process rooted in character, vision, and focus. Leadership empowers and inspires the pursuit of meaningful goals. We are so proud to join forces with colleagues, schools, colleges, and other institutions who demonstrate leadership every day in the service of young people. We are honored by the families who place their trust in us to identify educational opportunities that help today’s students become tomorrow’s leaders.
You will find leadership to be an underlying theme in this issue:
- Holly shares research on how independent schools help families fulfill four primary goals.
- Audrey offers a guest interview with Timothy Quinn about how Miss Porter’s School is innovating its programs to best serve 21st-century students.
- I interview Peter Curran of Blair Academy, who outlines the role of storytelling in building leadership skills and in preparing for admissions interviews.
- I discuss how schools are using the equity and inclusion framework, which was a common topic at the EMA conference.
- Jeremy highlights how parents can help prevent prescription drug abuse among teens.
- Deena offers concrete strategies to developing effective communications with college students.
- Michelle asks questions that reveal how to make the most of an internship.
- Worthwhile Detours recommends parenting books and blogs that emphasize the teen years.
As always, we look forward to hearing from you.
Cammie and the Bertram Team