The true job of parenting is to prepare offspring for successful adult lives by offering support, opportunities…and eventually independence. Every year I am impressed by the maturity displayed by Bertram candidates and the wisdom of their parents in empowering their children to pursue the educational paths that are the best fit for them. Some Bertram families have a tradition of attending boarding school and sagely believe in each student finding his or her own school home, regardless of where parents or siblings attended. We also work with many families for whom boarding school is a new adventure, with parents nobly following the child’s initiative to explore these opportunities. When college searches begin, we witness yet another level of mutual confidence and respect between young adults and their parents.
In this issue of the newsletter, we are thrilled to feature a guest interview with Michael K. Mulligan, Head of School at The Thacher School in California. Following up on my previous article about considering schools that are far from home, this is the first of a series profiling schools from different regions of the country. Also in this issue:
- My column reflects on the bond that grows when parents recognize their children’s emerging independence in the school search process.
- Holly explores how unique “semester schools” fit into a student’s educational plan.
- Jeremy highlights the particular opportunities that such semester schools offer for students who are passionate about the environment.
- Deena outlines the value of thinking about the college search even as a high school freshman.
- Audrey clarifies what educational experts really mean by a “growth mindset” and identifies how boarding schools support this learning philosophy.
- Bertram News introduces our newest affiliate, Mike Balotti.
- Worthwhile Detours announces an evening with expert Dr. Ray Kotwicki to learn about vital mental health strategies for college students.
As always, we look forward to hearing from you.
Cammie Bertram and the Bertram Team